Sunday, November 25, 2012

EU Telecomms Continue Slide; The World, Better

  It's neither the best of times nor the worst of times for the telecomms sector in Europe - just continued disappointment.

  ETNO, the trade group for European telecomm firms, has released its third Annual Economic Report. And for the third straight year, total telecomm revenues have fallen.  Revenues in 2011 were 274,7 billion euros, down 1.5% from 2010 levels.  Fixed telephony (land lines) revenue fell 8%; mobile revenues dropped 0.6%; while revenues from broadband service gained 4% (although remaining a very small proportion of total revenues.  On top of that, the report indicated that investments in fixed and mobile sectors (infrastructure costs) increased 4.6 percent.  Europe also saw a significant drop in its share of global markets, from accounting for 31% of global revenues in 2010 to 25% in 2011.
  Much of the global shift is the result of gains posted in developing areas.  Telecomm firms in Africa are making inroads with mobile data, mobile gaming, and mobile-based money transfer services.  

Source - The way we were,

No comments:

Post a Comment