- Count real "viewable impressions" online. (some online measures count ads sent, and with screening software, they may or may not actually be seen)
- Count audiences, not eyeballs. (as advertisers increasingly target, measurement should be able to measure target audiences, not just screens)
- Create transparent classification systems (online ads come in myriad forms and sizes - need a system that allows comparisons)
- Develop "metrics that matter" for interactivity. (Brand marketers want measure of involvement, not viewing).
- Digital media measurements should be comparable to, and integrated with, other media. (would improve comparability with other media, and facilitate cross-media marketing)
Source: "ANA, 4As, IAB Release Digital Measurement Principles." Online Media Daily