The reports overview identifies six major trends:
- The expansion of digital news outlets is creating job opportunities, particularly in the form of international reporting.
- The new money and digital outlets "may be more about fostering new ways of reporting and reaching audience" than developing sustainable revenue streams.
- Developments in social and mobile are changing the dynamics of news production and consumption.
- The new digital forms are fostering "new ways of storytelling," but bring both promise and challenge.
- Local TV underwent massive change in ownership structures in 2013, with greater use of "shared content" in local newscasts.
- News outlets are just beginning to recognize the shifting demographics of U.S. audiences, primarily in the expansion of Spanish-language content and outlets.
Sources - State of the News Media 2014: Overview, report by PewResearch Journalism Project.
State of the News Media 2014 Complete Report