- UK community news sector is well-established, with nearly three-quarters of players producing news for 3 years or longer (one-third doing so for more than 5 years)
- 70% see what they do as a form of active community participation; half identify their activities as local journalism, half as an expression of active citizenship
- More than half have formal journalistic training or mainstream media experience
- Most hyperlocal news sites have modest reach, even in their local communities
- Most community news producers classify their activities as part-time (only 11% report spending 40 hrs/wk or more on producing community news). Also, most producers fund their projects themselves - only a quarter raise enough money to cover their costs.
Source : UK Hyperlocal Community News: Findings from a survey of practitioners. Research report